Monday, September 5, 2016

photos 1: spaces


I feel like there's a lot of potential in an empty space, devoid of people and objects. With this piece I wanted to communicate that idea of emptiness with possibility - the idea that even with nothing, something can be done. This is an old gym space belonging to a friend's parents, and they're in the process of repairing and remodeling it. There are a lot of vertical lines to work with in this space, but after taking a couple shots putting windows and pillars on thirds, I decided to try something different. I decided to make the ceiling the focus of the piece, and made it fill 2/3 of the frame vertically. I think this made a more interesting composition all together - not only does the ceiling look ominous, it's more interesting in color and texture than the windows and floor below. I think I could've done better, however, with spatially composing this piece by incorporating the rule of thirds not only vertically, but horizontally as well.


When I look at this image, I think of morning. What's odd about that is that this photo was taken in the afternoon, as the sun was dipping lower and lower into the western sky. What I ended up with was a photo that told the story of a sleepy town contrasted against a wild, awake sky. It's a space full of life and quiet peace all at the same time. I placed the sun and clouds in the center of the frame because I wanted all focus to immediately go there, and then allow the viewer to take in what is going on around that focus. I didn't do this intentionally - I believed all the details would be silhouetted against the sky - but I like how the road and its surroundings look in this photo. There's a few details here and there, just enough that you can tell what things are, but not enough to be distracting from the focus. The only things I don't like about this photo are the telephone wires going across the sky, and the fact that the horizon line is off-kilter, but other than that I like how it turned out.


This is the most constricted but deep-space thing I photographed this week. I was originally going for something more in conjunction with the idea of empty spaces, but I like the accident that happened here. I took a couple photos of this space without the man standing in the alleyway, but I like how he breaks up the center focus of the photo, which is the alleyway and the colorful storefront beyond. The space is still fairly empty, and still raises a lot of potential questions - where is he going? Why has he stopped? Is he speaking to someone we can't see? I also like the imbalance of it, even though it's a centered photo. It's very dark on the right and brightly illuminated on the left, which gives the eye lots to look at. Even the texture of the trash cans is interesting. The only thing I would change is to dim the clipping light on the left, and to get rid of the blurred-out object (wall?) in the foreground.

1 comment:

  1. Brenna, your first photo is a real thinker. It sparks so much within the imagination and really gets my wheels turning. I like the bright, empty space; it seems so lonely. This photo makes me want to see the entirety of the room.

    Your second photo is gorgeous. I love the rays of sunshine coming out from behind the clouds. I think your description of a sleepy town against a very awake sky is spot on. The town is so charming and peaceful while the sky is so energetic. Even though I like the ground being so dark compared to the sky, I would almost like to see more of what's going on down there.

    Your third picture makes me think of tension, even though the man photographed appears to be very relaxed. The lighting brings a lot of energy to this piece, an energy that makes me think of conflict. It's like a bright light exploding into a peaceful dark.

    ReplyDelete