Sunday, September 18, 2016

photos 3


The lines in this photo work really well, I think, other than the fact that they lead the eye from right to left instead of left to right. The natural way we read is from left to right, so that makes the photo feel a little off-kilter. Other than that, the line of the trees, grass, and even the sun flare lead you directly to the horse, which is the focus of the photo. I think this photo could've been enhanced if I had photographed it at a higher angle, which would've made the mountain landscape in the background more visible. It's a pretty flat image and I wish it wasn't, because we were in such a stunning location. I do like, however, how I was able to shoot this image on the shadow side and rim the horse and rider in sunlight.


This is my favorite photo I took this week because I think the lines not only lead the eye, but frame the scene. It's like a frame within a frame, almost, because the audience members are one of the main focuses of the photo and they're caged in by the lines of the stadium seats. The rule of thirds is also being put to good use here, as all the subjects of the photo are in the lower third. There's also a lot of repetition and rhythm in this photo, with the pillars in the seats and the cars lined up in the derby pit. I love the negative space in the top of the photo as well. If I could change anything, however, I would make it so the top of the stadium seats is in the middle of the photo rather than hitting the lower third. I do like how flat this photo is, though. The wall of black in the back makes for an interesting image.


As menial as the action may be in this photo, I think it's a great action shot. Not only do we have a subject doing something - drinking water - we also have rain falling in the background and foreground, some drops in focus, and some not. Her body is turned away from the viewer, suggesting she's going somewhere, or that the viewer just got her attention. I like that she's breaking the fourth wall by looking directly down the lens as well. I like the close-up nature of this photo, but I do with it were a little deeper and her eyes were centered. I could've made it deeper by photographing her not against a wall of trees, but against the blurred hiking trail behind her.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brenna!

    1. Wow, this is a really pretty photo. I love the sunlight in the corner and how it points down at everything as though it was God saying "hey guys look how gorgeous this is". I actually really like how flat it is, I'm no expert but I feel like having the space be too deep might take a tiny bit away from the natural beauty of it. With the way it is it makes everything feel very still and quiet, which fits. And of course to fix the right-to-left thing you could always just flip the photo.

    2. This is a really cool photo. I love the warm lighting and the symmetry with the brightish green car in the center framed by the somewhat darker cars on each side. That's all well and good, but I actually think the most intriguing part is the wall of black behind everything. Sure it's technically flat, but to me it feels deep simply because it's big and dark and you don't know what the heck could be going down out there in space. It's massive and grand and imposing and I feel like that's the perfect thing to put above something as loud and destructive as a demolition derby, so I actually disagree with what you said about wanting to reframe it. Great photo, but it does sort of bug me though that it's not completely centered and not completely straight (it's SO close), but that might just be my OCD talking.

    3. So I actually couldn't tell that her body was turned away from the camera until you said, so it didn't really feel as much like an action shot to me at first, so maybe first of all I would frame it so that we see a little more of her shoulder. Having less dull, flatish colors might help too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad photo (I actually really like the dull colors), I'm just saying I maybe didn't get the same impression as you. I think it works either way though. I like the rain.

    Overall great job, you're a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete