Saturday, October 1, 2016

photos 5: line + shape


I love how the clouds were arranged here. They form a sort of thick, textured, boomerang-like line that leads the eye from the bottom left of the frame to the top right with billowing shapes. For the most part I also like how the color change from bright yellow to dark blue to pink, which helps in leading the eye because they're all different intensities.


This is a simple photo but I really like the pattern quality of the lines. I wanted to avoid radial symmetry, so I framed out the bottom part of the circular opening in the center. There are a lot of shapes going on here, and a lot for the eye to look at. We have rectangles and circles as well as straight and curved lines. I do wish there was a more clear subject here, rather than the image just being lines and light.


The linear quality of this photo comes from the way the tree is framing my grandparents, the two subjects. They fall right beneath the top of the arch. The first thing you might see in this photo is the people because of my grandmother's eye-catching white sweater, but the arched tree gives it an all-encompassing feel that leads you straight back to them because it adds a spiral quality to the image.

3 comments:

  1. The first photo is pretty: the clouds do make an interesting shape and the variety of colors adds a nice touch. I think this photo would have been stronger if it had just been of the sky and if it cut out the mountains and horizon level, that way we would only focus on the clouds.

    The lines in the second photo are really interesting! I agree that it would have been good to have some kind of subject in the photo (it feels a little empty without one), but the shapes and lines make for a very interesting image.

    I love how the tree in the third picture frames your grandparents. It adds to the sweetness of the photo, and brings the eye back to the subjects. I think the white sweater is actually good because it reminds us of what is important in the photo. This photo has a lot of different lines that make it a little hectic, but I appreciate the sentiment behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna,
    I like how your first photo has the clouds framed along the edge of the frame in a curve. You were able to create a unique shape from something so common to people. The curved shape definitely moves your eye around the picture.

    Your second photo had a definite definition of line, but it was interesting. Some lines met in places in order to create a pattern in a larger curved "line". I think the abstractness is powerful here, and I think it would have been better if that light wasn't randomly in the background, even though it is still cool.

    Your third photo is my favorite because of the cool curved tree framing them in the center, but also the couple looks so sweet, especially when they are walking towards the sun in this glowing moment. Pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am commenting on this because the person I was supposed to comment on didn't post, srry.

    The clouds in the first photo do an amazing job of guiding your eye to the best part of the photo, the sunset. I think it's amazing how they are in the perfect shape to get your eye to the subject. I think that is what we are trying to learn with line and shape so it works great!

    The second one is interesting because it guides your eye in a circle even though the complete circle isn't in the shot. Because the bulb is brighter, your eye starts there, then is led down and around and back to it. It's really cool how the lines push you like that.

    The third photo is very good at getting the viewer to focus on the center of the image. The framing is perfect at getting the people in the center and then using all of the other visual properties like the tree, ground, and brightness of the sun, to frame the center.

    ReplyDelete