Saturday, October 15, 2016

photos 7: color


Red and green are on opposite sides of the color wheel - complementary colors. Here, the two of them work nicely to draw the eye from the top of the sign to the bottom. The gradient blue of the sky behind the sign almost looks fake but has a similar effect in leading the eye from top to bottom, from darker blue to lighter blue. It gets only more interesting with the stark white and black contrasting every other color in this photo. I also think the lines are interesting, and provide the image with a sort of frame-within-a-frame.


This photo is interesting to me because it's generally dull and de-saturated until you look at the red lines on the vaporizer. There's also affinity of color between the blue on the bottom part of the vaporizer and the jeans - altogether, the splashes of color in this photo form a sort of triangulation of interest for the eye to follow. The first thing I see in this photo is the red, then the blue of the vaporizer, then the blue jeans, then the tattoo of the bird that stands out against the subject's skin - a triangle of things for the eye to look at. It also helps simplify the photo, the fact that all the most prominent colors are primary. 


I love this photo for many of the same reasons as my second photo - it's a saturated subject in a generally de-saturated world. The most prominent colors, obviously, are the red of this girl's jacket and the red of the striped blanket next to her. The eye never really leaves those two places. I wish, either with colors or tone, that her face stood out more from the background. I do like that, by accident, the blanket ended up being on the same side of the couch that she was facing, almost as if she's turning away from the dullness of her surroundings.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked these - what I like about the first one most is how the background sky fades to a darker blue at the top. It is really neat. I also liked the contrast between the complementary colors going on. It makes everything stand out way more and I think that worked out nicely. The second image works really nicely. I, too, liked how it was generally desaturated and how the red rings pop. The last image is neat. I like how the red jacket matches the blanket and how everything else is a brown or yellow hue.

    ReplyDelete